Monday, April 29, 2013

Be the Match

Several years ago (I think 2010) I filled out a simple application, swabbed my cheek, and returned everything to be registered with the National Marrow Doner registry. I don't even know what prompted me to do this...except that I have known at least three people who have received bone marrow transplants...and it literally gave them a second chance on life.  The procedure is simple - possibly a little painful - but really, what is my small amount of pain compared to that of a person suffering from cancer. 

Since I returned my sample, I have thought very little about this.  I received their e-mails...updated my contact information as necessary...but other than that, I didn't think anything else about it.

Until today...

When I received a phone call from the registry saying that I was a potential bone marrow match! 

You have no idea how excited this makes me!

There are still several steps that I have to go through before I'm selected as a best match - bloodwork, physical, etc., but just knowing that I'm being considered is mind boggling!

ME! I could be the person who gives someone else a second chance at a life - cancer-free! What an incredible honor!

I'll keep you updated on my progress.

To join the registry (which I very much support), you can click here.

:)

No comments: