Monday, November 22, 2010

A Rare "Good" Monday

This weekend was super much packed into such a small amount of time.  Friday night our church hosted a concert with Jason Crabb.  I don't know much about him, but this concert was awesome.  And he was sick...which amazed me even more! :)  It was fun...but a late night.

Saturday morning I caught up on laundry and that afternoon/evening, Dylan & I went to "Survivor Day" with the youth group.  It was such a beautiful NC fall day...not too cool during the day...abundant skies...perfect for an outdoor activity.  The students had the challenge to catch a fish, clean it, cook it over a fire that they had to make, boil water in a plastic bottle, and build a shelter that was water proof.  Oh yeah, they were only given fishing line and a hook, a shovel, a small knife, a hatchet and a magnesium flint.  It was interesting to say the least.  There were other challenges to get the students to work together...and later we had chicken stew (my fav!) and Worship out under the stars.  Once the sun set, it got cold fast and I was so thankful to get home into my warm PJ's & bed!

I was trying to not let any chicken stew go to waste...YUM!
During the first challenge (building the shelter), Dylan was trying to bring a log over to use for their shelter.  He picked up a log, decided it was too heavy and dropped it.  However, when he dropped it, it fell on his right hand.  Something on the log cut his finger and in Dylan's words, when he looked at his hand his finger was "gushing blood".  Thankfully, we had an EMT with us...who quickly assessed that the cut wasn't too big and got it all cleaned up. 

However, his first two fingers swelled...and were still swollen and sore this morning.  So, I decided to take Dylan to the doctor to have them checked out.  His appointment was at I left work at 1pm to pick him up from school and take him.  Thankfully, everything checked out and nothing is broken!

Today, though, was such a good day for a Monday.  It was nice to pick Dylan up and not be worried about him being sick (which is usually the reason he has to leave school early).  He was in a good mood all me a hard time about worrying over him and take him to the doctor.  When we were at the doctor's office, he got put in the "princess" exam room - which he was just THRILLED about.  We went through everything pretty quickly...and had time to go by Wal-Mart after the x-rays.  And then we even had time to play a little Band Hero together and then have some extra time to just hang around the house. 

With the holiday season looming just over the horizon, I'm thankful to have a day to just hang out.  And there's something about being home while you know you technically should be at work...and not having a sick kid to warrant me being home during the day just made it better.

So...all in all, a good Monday.

With one exception...if you read The Daily Dose of Reality, you may or may not be aware of some sad news.  Ian & his wife were expecting a baby in April, but sadly they lost their baby son over the weekend.  Please keep this family in your prayers as they are dealing with this especially heartbreaking loss.  I know they would appreciate it.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Glad Dylan is okay!! I love that picture of you by the way! ;)

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of the baby for Ian and his wife. Prayers are going their way!!