Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I'm ba-ack!!!

Well, I made it back from DC all safe and sound.  All in all a good weekend...full of fun and short on sleep! :) A typical Youth trip...

I'm a little slack in sharing my DC adventures...mostly because I didn't get home on Sunday until 7ish...and was in my bed at 8:30pm.  I watched a movie that was on TV...OK, so I dozed through a movie that was on TV and turned in around 10ish.  Monday was busy and when I got home, I really just didn't want to do anything but lay on the couch...and sleep some more. Tonight, Mom & Dad invited us to go to the movies with them (they typically go every Tuesday) to see the Narnia movie.  We have a local theater that has $1 movies all the time and on Tuesday, popcorn & drinks are $1 each!  So for $6, D & I got into the movie, each had a small popcorn and a small drink.  Awesomeness!  Mom said she won't go in the summer...it tends to get very crowded.  But tonight there was hardly anyone there.  The theater typically shows older movies...I tease Mom that they are usually movies just about to be released on DVD...but it's nice to have the "theater" experience.

So, I spent Friday night & all day Saturday at a Dare 2 Share conference.  Our Youth attended this conference in November of 2008 and it was amazing.  The Dare 2 Share organization is committed to teaching students to share their faith with their friends in an easy & relational way.  Through an easy acronym - GOSPEL - the students (and adults!) have a guideline for telling their friends about Jesus and how to become a Christian...

G - God created us to be with him.

O - Our sin separates us from God.

S - Sins cannot be redeemed by good deeds.

P - Paying the price for sin, Jesus died and rose again.

E - Everyone who trusts in Him alone has eternal life.

L - Life with Jesus starts now & lasts forever.

We had an awesome time...had 7 students give their lives to Christ...witnessed students being bold about sharing their faith with their friends, as well as complete strangers...and saw our Youth group grow in unity as a group. 

And we also had our "Youth" moments.  Saturday night we were driving around DC trying to get to the Lincoln Memorial...all of the sudden I hear "Oh my gosh...that hobo is peeing on the street".  Yeah...that dominated conversation for about 10 minutes.

Since our main purpose was the conference, we didn't actually get to see much of DC.  But we did see the Washington Monument, the White House (as close as we could possibly get) and the Lincoln Memorial.  Unfortunately, we saw all of this at night...and furthermore my crazy camera wasn't working well...so I got a few pix, but they are all with my phone.  I plan to share those tomorrow for "Wordless Wednesday".

So, all in all, a great weekend with a great group of kids.  Now, if I can just get caught up on my sleep...yeah, I know...good luck with that! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a great weekend! I hope you can get caught up on your rest soon! :)