Friday, June 3, 2011

Whew! Five Question Friday 6/3/11

What a week this has been! I didn't intend to not blog this week...it just didn't happen!  I had a VERY busy Memorial Day weekend - my house got cleaned inside out!  On Saturday, Dylan & my dad worked outside, pressure washing the vinyl while I worked inside cleaning like I've never cleaned before!  I mean, I washed the windows, y'all!  Can you believe it???  Sunday I had church, worked on some church stuff at home and then went back to church that evening for a concert.  Monday we finished cleaning the siding under the carport (it can't be pressure washed because my back door leaks) and I cleaned my car inside out...which hadn't been done since September.  And how do I know for sure it's been since September???  When I was cleaning out the trash I found a sunglass tag for some sunglasses that my BFF bought when we went to the beach in September!  I know I cleaned it out before we went...so, yep...that's the last time my car was all clean!  I took a little nap Monday afternoon and went shopping with my sis...and finished up the day with some homemade ice cream that my Dad made! And work has been busy...not so slammed that I can't breathe...but just busy enough that as I finish one thing, I have something else to move on to.  This is the way I like it!  So, all in all, not a bad week at all!

This weekend will hopefully be a bit slower than last weekend.  Dylan is doing some pictures for a photographer friend of mine - stuff she can use for advertising and promotional stuff.  Then we are having a movie night at the church - OUTSIDE!  I'm so excited about this!

There were a couple of things that I didn't get done last weekend...so I'm hoping to get those tackled this weekend too!  Next weekend is high school graduation weekend...and I have two that I'm trying to go to.  My friend Amiracle is graduating from one school on Friday night - I'm pretty sad about this since she & her mom will be moving to LIBERIA in August...and then my favorite twins are graduating Saturday night, as well as some other high schooler friends. 

Let me please explain Amiracle real quick...because she (& her mom) has the coolest story.  Her mother was born & raised in Liberia.  As you may or may not be aware, Liberia hasn't always been a great place to live.  Eighteen years ago, Amiracle's mother fled Liberia, while she was pregnant with Amiracle.  She left with nothing but her purse and the clothes on her back.  She had seen many of her family members killed and had feared that she would also be killed.  She ended up in Houston, where Amiracle was born and somehow made it to NC.  Amiracle got her name because it was quite literally "a miracle" that they made it to the US alive.  Amiracle's grandmother was able to come to the US, but ended up going back to Liberia several years ago.  So, Amiracle & her mother will be moving back while Amiracle is in college.  Amiracle swears up & down that she will be back and that she intends to live in the US after college.  But she will be there in school for about 8 years, since she intends to be a doctor. 

Neat story, huh???

Ok - so, now what you all came here for...Five Question Friday! :)  If you want to play along, head over to Mama M's site, copy the questions & link up!

1. If you had to choose, how would you prefer to choose to spend money...on landscaping or a pool?

Why do I have to choose???  One of the coolest pools I ever saw was a "natural bottom" pool.  It looked very much like a lake or pond and the landscaping around it made you feel like you were swimming out in a pond, somewhere off the beaten path, instead of in a backyard. 

I just can't choose...I want them both! :)

2. Death penalty, yay or nay?

I'm always so torn about this...

#1 - As a Christian, I am supposed to be about forgiveness and not "an eye for an eye".

But, I believe there are crimes that are so heinous that the criminal should pay the ultimate price for his/her crime...just as their victim did.

On the other hand, is a quick easy death (we are all about lethal injection here in NC) a true punishment for the crime they committed against another person?  Is it not more horrible to have to live each and every day for the rest of your life with the guilt of your crime weighing on your conscious?

I really don't have a clear cut answer...

3. What's the worst thing your kid has gotten into when you turned your back/blogged/showered/blinked?

Once when Dylan was about 5 or so, I would try to get him to dry his hair with the hair dryer...especially in the winter and if he showered in the morning.  I'm not sure why I left Dylan's hair longer for so long (as opposed to the buzz cut he gets now)...his hair was notoriously thick, heavy...and didn't sleep well at all.  I have a picture from one mother's day when he literally had "horns" on his head from his bed head.  And the child was VERY opposed to combing his hair.  Anyway, I left him in the bathroom drying his hair for like 2 seconds...and when I came back, the hand towel was smoking in one spot and you could smell something burning.  Dylan fessed up pretty quickly and told me he wanted to know what would happen if he put the hair dryer up against the towel.  Needless to say, he found out pretty quickly.

And, as a matter of fact, that was the last time he dried his hair with the hair dryer...ever! :)

Ahhh...the curiousity of my 5 yr old boy...

4. How often to you REALLY go to the dentist?

Every 6ish months.  Sometimes they can't get us back in 6 months...but that's not my fault. 

However, we were supposed to go last week and I cancelled our appointments because Dylan couldn't miss any more school.  I still haven't figured out why I cancelled MY appointment...hopefully they will be able to work us in soon!

And of course, if I happen to have a cavity, I have to go back sooner than 6 months...

We love going to the dentist.  Dylan has had numerous cavities and after the nervousness of having the first one filled, he really didn't mind at all.  In fact, I think he should've minded a little more - maybe he would've brushed better! ;)

5. What is your favorite animal (doesn't have to be a pet-type animal)?

I love polar bears.  I think they are so beautiful and fascinating.  Several, several years ago they added a polar bear exhibit at the NC Zoo.  If I remember correctly, the polar bears were rescued from a traveling circus that was traveling in South America.  I do think one of them has since died...so I'm not sure if there is one or two there.  I always thought it was strange that we could have polar bears living in NC...but they have a refrigerated room that they can go to to cool off and I believe the water in their habitat is cooled enough to keep them comfortable.

Sorry this was so long...this is what happens when I don't blog for a week...I unleash a week's worth of stuff into one entry! :)

Happy Friday! Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Nicole @ Nicole Clark blog said...

Love your answers. As a Christian it is tough about the death penalty. I agree with you all the way. New followe from 5 Q friday. Hope you can follow back.

Kasi said...

I like your answers! :)