Monday, June 14, 2010

My Mother's Cakes...YUM!

Yesterday a few friends & I hosted a baby shower for a good friend.  She and her husband have been married for about 14 or so years...they have prayed for most of their married life to be able to have a child.  In November/December they found out that she was pregnant!  This was her second pregnancy...sadly the first ended in a miscarriage.  So, after waiting the perfunctory almost 12 weeks, they announced their little addition and we were all ecstatic!  This pregnancy has been a journey, including horrible morning sickness that lasted well into her second trimester and an emergency surgery for a VERY rare condition...so rare that I can't even remember what it was called.  I only remember that their attending nurse said she'd been an OB nurse for 20 some years and she'd only seen this happen one other time.  But, praise the Lord and here we are almost six weeks before the due date and all signs are pointing to a very healthy baby girl!

At any rate, I love the opportunity to throw a shower.  For the obvious reasons...I love honoring my friends, giving them gifts, etc., etc.  But I REALLY love to throw a shower because most of the time it gives me an excuse to ask Mom to make cake squares.  My mom has been making cakes almost all of my life, although now they are very few and far between.  I only remember one birthday when I didn't have a homemade cake.  There used to be a place close to our home that rented pans and I remember going to the store and searching for just the right pan.  Sometimes I made it easier for mom...sometimes I didn't.  But, we always had beautiful hand made cakes!  As far as the cake itself, it's nothing more than a butter recipe Duncan Hines cake.  I don't know how she made them taste so much better, but she always has.  Her cakes are always light and fluffy and baked just right. 

But the "icing on the cake" (pardon the pun, hee hee) is the buttercream icing.  Nothing more than lard & sugar (as I told my friend this weekend), it just simply melts in your mouth.  I have made this buttercream icing and while mine is a pretty close 2nd, nothing beats Mom's yellow cake with buttercream icing that has been cut into small cake squares.  I'm not sure if it's the cake to icing ratio that makes it good or what...but I could quite simply founder myself on Mom's cake squares. 

So, now I have five, correction four, cake squares in my freezer that I will try very hard to ration this week.  I'm hoping to make them last until Thursday...although Tuesday may be a better goal!

Happy Monday!

No comments: