Thursday, July 15, 2010

From the Archives - "Rainbows and funny things..."

January 2009

Today we had a weird day weather wise. It started out cold...got warm...then got cold. About 3ish, it began to rain...for like the 15th day in a row. Really it's not been that many days, but it feels like it. I was driving home, noticing that the sun was finally out, although it was still raining and all of the sudden I looked over and saw the biggest, brightest rainbow I have ever seen. And to top it off, it was a double rainbow! You could see all of the colors and it even looked like you could see the end.
I love rainbows...I always take their appearance very personally...like God put that rainbow there for ME. I am always reminded of the precise promise that God made when he put the first rainbow in the sky - that He would never flood the earth again. And then it makes me think of all the other promises that God has made to His people - that He has plans for us, plans to prosper and not to harm us, that He will never leave us or forsake us, that He will never give us more than we can handle.

Now...to the funny thing...in another weather related story...

Our power flicked off three times at work today in about a 3 minute period. We think someone may have hit a power pole or I guess the wind blew a tree or branch on a line. We never lost power for more than a few seconds, but of course it cut my computer off. Well, after I was satisfied that the power was back on for good, I hit the power button on my computer...and nothing happened. I hit it again...and again...and again...and still nothing happened. I was kind of getting excited because the other two girls in the office got new computers recently and they are the tee-tiniest things and I've been whining about wanting a new computer. I don't NEED a new computer, but mine is big and old and clunky and their's is small and shiney and could fit on my desk.

Yes...I am four.

Anyway, I had to get down on the floor (since I have the big clunker of a computer) and take the cover off (which ironically enough I just put the screws back in right before Christmas because I was tired of it falling off all the time), unplug everything and check the power supply. I know I sound all techy...but really I'm not. I work with our IT guy, which translates into him teaching me how to take computers apart, replace processors and all kinds of other stuff that I really couldn't do without him in the next office! My power supply was fine, so I hooked it back up to the motherboard, hooked the power cord back in and pushed the power button. Sadly, for the jealous part of me, the computer started right up. I wanted to make sure everything was going to work before I put the cover back on so I got back in my desk chair...logged on...and still it chugged right along. Chuck (the IT guy) came in my office to make sure I was back up and running...I checked to make sure there was nothing else that needed to be done to the CPU and started to get back on the floor to put the cover on my computer. Here's where the funny part comes in (I know you've been wondering!)...at the church lock in the other night I slammed my left knee into a pew when we were playing a game and it's been bruised all week. So, I was trying to get back in the floor without coming down on my left knee...which put me off balance and I sort of wobbled towards my desk and SLAMMED my nose on the edge of my desk. Not the top part...but on the nostril side! I said "oh, crap" really loud and Chuck (who thankfully had gone back to his office) said "are you OK" and I said "yes"...but I was in tears. I don't think I've ever hurt like that before. I was just praying that he would be an insensitive man and stay in his office so I didn't have to explain why I was holding my nose and in tears...and thankfully he did. Of course, at the time it felt awful...but now, I totally see how funny it is! I am a mess...I know!

No comments: